Your Realtor will serve as your advocate, teacher and, on occasion, your therapist during the home buying and selling process. Here are 8 reasons why it's important to have a trusted Realtor on your side.
1. They will navigate this complicated process for you. Buying or selling a home requires a multitude of paperwork, inspections, appraisals, mortgage documents, insurance policies, deeds and settlement papers. Realtors spend every day with these documents and know the process inside and out. As a trusted expert they will help you secure the best deal and avoid delays and costly mistakes.
2. They will inform you. A Realtor will be able to provide you with all of the community information you're looking for from market data to utilities, zoning and schools. They will also be able to give you honest, objective information on each property that interests you. They will be able to help you decide whether each home will provide the right environment you are looking for and which properties will have the best resale value down the road.
3. They will find the best available property for your needs. Your Realtor will discuss your wants and needs and set off on a thorough search to find the homes that will provide everything you seek. Realtors also have the benefit of tracking down homes that may be on the market but are not actively advertised to ensure you have the widest selection to choose from.
4. They will negotiate for you. During the buying and selling process there are many times when strong negotiating skills are of the utmost importance from the home price, financing, terms, date of possession, inclusion or exclusion of repairs to furniture and appliances. Your agent will be comfortable and knowledgeable with each of these items and will go into every negotiation with your best interests in mind. As your advocate, they want the best for your and have the know-how to get it for you.
5. They will market your property strategically. Your agent will make your home look its best through photographs and advertising, but their marketing prowess does not stop there. Realtors have a huge database of professional contacts and past clients who are always interested in hot new listings. Your home is guaranteed to be in the spotlight more with the help of a Realtor than if you sold it yourself meaning a faster sale and better price.
6. They speak the language. If you don't know a CMA from a PUD, you will quickly understand why it's important to have a professional on your side. Your Realtor knows the business and all of the lingo that goes with it and will happily explain every step along the way. You will save yourself a lot of time, frustration and headaches by allowing a professional to take charge.
7. The have experience. Most people buy and sell a few homes in a lifetime, usually with a significant time span between each purchase. Even if you have done it alone before, laws and regulations change constantly making selling a home now a much different process than a decade or two ago. Realtors handle hundreds of transactions each year and are required to be up to date and knowledgeable on any changes to the system. Having an expert navigate the process for you is critical to your success.