Spring has finally arrived! This is the time of year to clean up and start fresh.
These 10 steps will leave your home sparkling and ready for entertaining all Spring and Summer long!
Inside Your Home:
1. ORGANIZE- Closets, drawers, bookshelves...these places always seem to collect clutter. Now is the time to sort through and remove any items you no longer wear, use or need. If you are thinking of selling your home, this is especially important. Home buyers will be looking in all of the nooks and crannies of your home. The extra space you gain from de-cluttering and organizing will make your spaces look larger and more attractive!
2. Appliances- Is your stainless steel looking a little lack luster? What about the oven you have been meaning to scrub? Cleaning your appliances may not be the most exciting task, but it will certainly make a big impact. A fresh, clean kitchen will always impress potential home buyers.
3. Walls- Does your paint look like it's been through battle? Grab a sponge and bucket of soapy water-a little elbow grease will likely remove the worst of the marks. If you are able to touch up any scuffs and scrapes with extra paint afterwards, that is even better! Or, if you're feeling adventurous, maybe it's time to try out a new wall color! See Benjamin Moore's best selling paint colors for inspiration!
4. Floors- A lot can be said for a thorough sweep and vacuum's ability to change a room for the better. If your home is heavily carpeted, Spring is a great time to invest in or rent a rug cleaner...in a couple of hours your home will be looking like new! Don't forget about your throw rugs too, maybe your "welcome" mat is looking a little, well, unwelcome? Winter salt and mud season in Vermont certainly take their toll on door mats, now is a perfect time to replace them and freshen up your entryway!
5. Throw Pillows- Changing up the pillows on your couches, chairs and bed is a fast, relatively inexpensive way to change your rooms seasonally. Even swapping one or two couch pillows will be a refreshing change!
Exterior & Garden:
1. Windows- If you're like most Vermonters, the first mild day makes you want to open your windows and let the fresh air in! Maybe in doing so you realized your screens need some TLC. Consider taking them off to clean and repair any damages; screening and repair kits are available inexpensively at hardware stores. Giving your glass a thorough cleaning will finish off your windows and let you breathe that fresh air a little easier.
2. Garage- Much like closets and drawers, garages are often overwhelmed with clutter. Organizing and removing any unnecessary items will make the space more functional and appealing to any potential home buyers.
3. Wash/Paint/Stain- Winter tends to leave the exterior of our homes a little lackluster. Try washing your siding first and then touch up any paint to bring the exterior of your home back to life. Snow and ice also takes its toll on decks. Pressure washing is a good place to start but re-staining or painting your deck could make all the difference.
4. Patio- If you have a patio, sweeping and repairing any stones moved by weather will be a good preparation for Spring and Summer. Bring your outside furniture and grill out of storage and you will be set for entertaining!
5. Lawn/Garden- With the snow finally melted, the remaining fall leaves have made their presence known. Your lawn may need a raking to rid those old leaves and allow fresh, healthy grass to grow. If your home has gutters, it is worth your while to check those for leaf build up as well. If you keep flower gardens, weeding, edging and adding fresh mulch will instantly bring them back to life. Adding a few potted plants to your newly washed deck or patio will amp up your curb appeal and make your home the envy of the neighborhood, and unforgettable to interested buyers.